Twitter at 5 reflects a social network that has gone from strength to strength, it has come a long way from a small startup to becoming the world’s fastest growing social network, from “just setting up my twttr” to over 200 million people tweeting 140 million tweets of 140 characters daily. It has become not just a social networking platform as most people think, it has also become new CNN for many, on the day of the earthquake and tsunami in Japan, over 177 million tweets were sent. When Michael Jackson died, 456 tweets per second were sent across the world.
Here are some interesting facts about Twitter in its 5 years:
- Jack Dorsey sent the first tweet on March 21 2006, “just setting up my twttr”.
- Twitter was incorporated in April 2007; it was co-founded by Biz Stone, Evan Williams and Jack Dorsey – @biz, @ev and @jack.
- The hashtag (#) feature on Twitter which groups tweets by subject debuted in August 2007, proposed by a user.
- Twitter has more than 200 million users tweeting more than 140 million tweets a day.
- Last year alone, Twitter users sent 25 billion tweets and the company added more than 100 million new registered accounts.
- Pop star Lady Gaga (@ladygaga) has the most Twitter followers with 8.78 million followed by Justin Bieber (@justinbieber) with 8.13 million, Britney Spears (@britneyspears) with 7.12 million, Barack Obama (@barackobama) with 6.97 million and Kim Kardashian (@kimkardashian) with 6.73 million.
- Actor Charlie Sheen (@charliesheen) was the fastest to one million followers, picking them up in just 1 day.
- In October 2009, Google and Microsoft began integrating tweets into their search products.
- Twitter has “370-plus” employees and is adding workers almost weekly.
- Twitter is based in San Francisco, with additional employees in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and Washington.
- The initial Twitter logo was created by Stone, a former graphic designer.
Twitter as its co-founder Biz says is like a 5 year old who goes to the school, is setting out to conquer the web, watch out Facebook!