Apple’s preview of iPhone OS 4.0 was expected to be all about how the future iPhone will allow users to multi-task and do many things at the same time. However, the iPhone OS 4.0 is not just another multi-tasking mobile operating system and it offers great business capabilities targeted at enterprise users and IT departments. From what I’ve seen of iPhone OS 4.0 till now, I believe it’d be a frontrunner to replace the Blackberry for business users.
Many business users have often ridiculed the iPhone as a toy when compared to RIM’s Blackberry. iPhone OS 4.0 is all set to change that perception by offering a pleasant surprise of top class business capabilities.
What Business Features does iPhone OS 4.0 offer?
Apple’s new iPhone OS 4.0 takes several major steps to address the needs of corporate mobile usage, as well as amp up the capabilities that will appeal to individuals. Here’s a sneak peak at the business capabilities of iPhone OS 4.0
- Multi-Tasking – Do multiple tasks on your phone and thereby improve overall productivity. Double-clicking the iPhone home button will display the apps that are currently running.
- Background VoIP – Lower calling costs by switching to VoIP. Since it runs in the background, it doesn’t divert your attention from the tasks at hand.
- Enhanced email – Encryption of mails and attachments. email can be unlocked with a user assigned PIN. Further, you can have multiple e-mail accounts and have them all displayed in a single inbox. The new OS also offers capabilities to connect the iPhone with more than one Exchange Server account.
- Enhanced data protection – Highly secure protection of data as compared to earlier iPhone OS versions courtesy encryption.
- Remote iPhone Management – Manage your iPhone remotely and smartly from anywhere, that too through a wireless interface. No more USB cable hassles!
The Power of Apps
There’s hardly any doubt that apps have played a vital role in the success story of the iPhone so far and the tale will be no different when iPhone OS 4.0 comes to market. Apple has the strongest developer community in the world as far as mobile apps are concerned. I expect a lot of value-added applications for business users to emerge when iPhone OS 4.0 arrives.
iTunes-less app distribution
The iPhone OS 4.0 will let you provision your own apps to iPhone users without going through iTunes. Instead, you can do it wirelessly from your own Web server, as an email attachment, or through another app. This is a blessing in disguise for many businesses that’d still like to provide the benefits of powerful iPhone business applications to their employees without having to let employees install nonessential apps like iTunes. It will also help companies to lock down external ports and ensure that employees only use business apps on their iPhones.
iPhone OS 4.0 includes ‘iAd’, Apple’s mobile advertising platform which offers fantastic revenue opportunities for advertisers and businesses. iAd is expected to help many businesses and companies reach out to a wider customer base through innovative online advertising campaigns.
Since the beginning of this year, I’ve heard of many smartphones being touted as iPhone killers. From whatever I’ve seen of iPhone OS 4.0 in the last 24 hours, I’m convinced that it will mercilessly kill all iPhone killers. I believe that the latest iPhone OS is bound to put the iPhone at top slot for corporate users of any mobile device.
What’s your take on the new iPhone OS 4.0?